The pentagram is an ancient symbol used for spiritual defense. We can use it to protect ourselves from negative forces, whether they are within us or outside us.
The pentagram is a sacred symbol, and should be treated respectfully.
Like all symbols, it can be used in positive or negative ways. That is why it is important to understand what it means, and how to use it properly.
"The pentagram expresses the dominion of the Spirit over the elements of Nature. We can command the elemental creatures that inhabit the regions of fire, air, water, and earth with this magical sign.
"Demons [whether within us or outside of us] tremble and run away terrified in the presence of this terrific symbol.
"The pentagram with its superior ray aiming up forces the tenebrous ones to scatter.
"The pentagram with its superior ray aiming down serves in order to call upon the tenebrous ones.
"When the pentagram is placed on the floor of the threshold (entrance) of the room, with its superior ray aiming towards the interior and its two inferior rays aiming towards the outside of the room, it does not permit the entrance of black magicians.
"The pentagram is the flaming star. The pentagram is the sign of the Word made flesh and according to the direction of its rays, it can represent God or the Devil, the Immolated Lamb or the male goat of Mendes.
"When the superior ray of the pentagram is aiming up towards the sky, it represents Christ.
"When the two inferior points of the pentagram are aiming up towards the sky, it represents Satan.
"The pentagram represents the human being in its entirety.
"The pentagram with its superior ray aiming upwards is the master.
"The pentagram with its superior ray aiming down and its two inferior angles aiming up, is the fallen angel. Thus, every fallen bodhisattva is the inverted flaming star. As a matter of fact, every initiate who allows himself to fall becomes an inverted flaming star." - Samael Aun Weor, The Perfect Matrimony
"The five Impressions of the Great Light and the five Helpers are contained within the flaming star. The five Helpers are the five genii: Gabriel, Raphael, Uriel, Michael, and Samael. The entire Treasury of the Light is contained within the pentagram, and allegorizes the human being." - Samael Aun Weor
How to Use the Pentagram
Pentagrams should be placed wherever we need to reject negative influences. The most important places are:
- Our altar. Have an altar in your bedroom; there should be a pentagram on it, ideally in an attractive frame.
- Above our bed. Place a framed pentagram above the head of the bed. It is very important that the superior point is aiming towards the ceiling and that the inferior points (the two "feet") are aiming toward the floor.
- Our bedroom. The pentagram may also be drawn on a very white lambskin to be kept inside the bedroom. This is how we can prevent the tenebrous ones from entering our bedroom.
- On glass or mirrors. To drive away ghosts, spirits or demons, place the pentagram on glass or mirrors; this terrorizes them. You can draw it or use stickers.
- Doors, windows, or other entrances. When the pentagram is drawn on the floor of the threshold (entrance) of the room, with its two inferior rays pointing towards the outside of the room (ideally fully spanning the entryway with the feet touching either side of the threshold), it stops the entrance of the tenebrous ones.
The Meanings of the Symbols on the Pentagram
"The entire science of Gnosis is found summarized within the flaming star." —Samael Aun Weor, Alchemy and Kabbalah in the Tarot
This is just a basic outline of the meanings of these symbols. We have linked some articles below where you can learn more.
The word pentagram is from Greek:
- Penta, "five"
- Gramma, "graphic or letter"
The pentagram is also called pentalpha because its shape is formed by five alphas, five letters “A.”
- Alpha (Α), first letter of the Greek alphabet
That is why you also find the first and last letters of the Greek alphabet on the Pentagram:
- The letter A “Alpha” is the first letter of the Greek alphabet. It is located beneath the eyes and form its mouth; it symbolizes the Verb or Word, the principle of creation. “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God”.
- The letter Ω “Omega” is situated between the legs and opens inward and upward. It is the last letter of the Greek alphabet, and symbolizes the Cosmic Christ or Universal Verb, the Prana, that when transformed by the metabolism of the body, finally remains deposited in potency, within the Ens Seminis, as Christ in substance.
The Pentagram represents the Universal Cosmic Christ, the Alpha A and the Omega Ω, the beginning and the ending, that is, was and shall be.
These numbers are alchemical and kabbalistic, with levels of meanings. Most significantly:
- 12 = The number 1 is the male, the fire; the number 2 is the female, the water; when adding them, we get the 3, the christified soul by means of sacrifice “12”.
- 123 =The Father, the Mother, their Child, the Trinity, when adding them, we get 6, the soul that unites to God by means of love. The numbers 1, 2 and 3 are united by means of love.
Adding all the numbers: 1+2 = 3 and 1+2+3 = 6. 3+6 = 9, the Ninth Sphere, which is Yesod, sex. The Pentalpha as a whole, the Adam Christ, the Alchemist and Kabbalist, is the outcome of the nine: sex.
Around the Pentalpha we find the word Tetragrammaton.
- Tetra, "four"
- Gramma, "graphic or letter"
- Ton; in the Greek language, the use of "ton" at the end of any word denotes the union of two, three, four, five or more unities or letters in one single name or unity.
The word Tetragrammaton refers to the four-lettered name of God from Hebrew: יהוה ( Iod Hei Vav Hei).
The word Tetragrammaton is a magic word or Greek “mantra” of immense priestly power.
The Hebrew Words
There are four Hebrew words written on the pentagram.
- יהוה This is the Holy Name of God, pronounced Jehovah or Iod Havah.
- אדם This is Adam, the Celestial Man made in the image and likeness of God.
- פחד Pehad means "awe, ardor" and is a synonym of the Hebrew word יראה "reverence and profound respect" towards “Shaddai El Chai” the essence of God (the ens seminis).
- כפר Kaphar means "expiation"; to eliminate our psychological defects and make supreme sacrifices in order to pay our karmic debts.
In the superior angle of the pentagram we find the eyes of the Spirit, the eyes of the Father are always open. Internally they symbolize the infinite, the Holy Eight, the equilibrium between brain, heart and sex. The Omniscient and permanent sight of God is always present in all creation. The Divinity, the Internal Christ, is always awake and vigilant.
Astrological and Alchemical Symbols
The sign of Jupiter on the superior angle (forehead) of the pentagram: symbolizes IO-PITAR, the Internal Christ, sacred father of all gods. Archangel: Zachariel.
The sign of Mars on its arms: is the symbol of strength. It is the strength of willpower that transforms the human being. Archangel: Samael.
The sign of Mercury on its chest: is the symbol of Occult Philosophy, the Intelligence, the prudent activity of the wise. Archangel: Raphael.
The sign of Saturn on its feet: is the symbol of Magic, Death and Resurrection; the Elder of Days. Archangel: Oriphiel.
The sign of Venus on its chest: is the symbol of Love, Chastity and Beauty. Archangel: Uriel.
The sign of the Moon on its left side: is the symbol of Fertility, fecundity, dominion over the waters of life (the Ens Seminis). Archangel: Gabriel.
The sign of the Sun on its right side: is the symbol of the Solar Logos, substance and consciousness of Christ, powerful life whereby everything advances. Archangel: Michael.
The Seal of Solomon symbolizes the dominion over the element earth.
The six points of the star are masculine. The six outer obtuse angles that exist between point and point, are feminine. In total the star of Solomon has twelve rays, six masculine and six feminine. The star of Solomon is the perfect symbol of the Central Sun. All the zodiacal measurements are resumed within the Seal of Solomon. The whole sexual Genesis of the Zodiac is hidden within the Seal of Solomon. The intimate relationship that exists between the Zodiac and the invisible Central Sun is found within the Seal of Solomon. The Twelve Rays of this brilliant star are crystalized by means of the Alchemy of the twelve zodiacal constellations.
The superior triangle of the Seal of Solomon symbolizes: The Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit.
The inferior triangle of the seal of Solomon symbolizes: The Power that Governs (The Innermost), the Power that Deliberates (The Mind), and the Executive Power (The Personality).
The Caduceus of Mercury: symbolizes the dorsal spine and its two “nadis” or channels: Ida and Pingala, through which the soul of the mercury rises. The latter ascends, after it’s fecundated by the fire of the Holy Spirit (by means of scientific chastity, represented in the sign of Venus - in the center of the pentagram - made by the Caduceus together with the circle which is below the sign of Mercury) and goes through the medullar canal (Shushumna), opening in its path the seven churches (seven chakras) which are mentioned in the Apocalypse of Saint John, and unfolding the igneous wings that allow us entrance to all the departments of the kingdom.
The chalice, the Holy Grail symbolizes the element water, the “yoni” or feminine sexual organ, and also represents the christified mind which contains the wine of light that inseminates the brain.
The staff of seven knots or the key of science, symbolizes the air. It is the vertebral column with the seven chakras. It is the spinal medulla through which the seminal vapors rise. It is the wand of Moses, the rod of Aaron, the staff of the patriarchs, the reed of Brahma, the scepter of the kings or Malachim of Nature.
The sword: Is the phallus- “lingam” or masculine sexual organ, symbolizing willpower, the dominion over the fire.
To go deep into the symbolism, study:
Get Pentagrams from Glorian
We have always felt that the pentagram should make us feel protected, inspired, and appreciative of its beauty, so we made new design of it. We hope you like it.